March 3, 2015

Standing up for Stand-up

It was just another weekend. I got a call from Rajesh uncle, dad's friend from Australia. He was in town, and wanted to hang out. He's cool like that. He suggested we meet at Me So Happi in Khar. Sleazy name, I thought to myself. Turns out it was a restaurant, and my brother Aakash was performing there the same night.

A bit of background, Aakash is a part-time student of law, and a full-time stand-up comic. He has shows all over town all the time. Most of the time I don't even know whether he is performing on any given night, and if he is, I don't know where the performance is. Much to my discredit, I haven't been to too many of his shows. I blame Mumbai traffic.

Anyway, I accepted Rajesh uncle's invitation. Come Saturday evening, Prachi and I were off to Khar. There was an unexpected drizzle that day, and the whole of Bombay felt like it was air-conditioned. We reached just about on time. My friend Nipun joined us as well. Don't ask who he is and why he was there, that's a separate blog entry altogether.

The restaurant was shaped like a really long rectangle. As soon as I entered, I thought to myself....how in the world will they do stand-up here? Presumably, the comic would stand at one end of the restaurant. I would be lucky to hear him, let alone see him. I shared my concerns with Aakash and he said it will all be fine. The sceptic in me has taught me not to trust him, especially when he says that is will all be fine. He's unreliable that way.

About 30 minutes behind schedule, the show started. Aakash was the opening act. He had one of those wireless microphones which turned out to be utterly useless. We couldn't hear him at all! I was quite disappointed. The trained comic that he is, he asked early on whether we could hear him, and we replied in the negative. Apparently this was the first time the restaurant was hosting a stand-up show. To my surprise, he took it in his stride and just walked to the middle of the (really long rectangle-shaped) restaurant. I was thinking, he is out of his comfort zone. He was smack in the middle of the room, with the audience on all four sides. He simply continued his routine.

A feeling of dread engulfed me. Not because his jokes were bad (they weren't), but because he was in the worst situation a comic can be in. He was in the middle of the restaurant. At any given time, a significant percentage of his audience couldn't see him face-to-face. He still went on. Waiters kept crossing him to take and deliver customer orders. He still went on. Customers would wave to waiters right in front of him. He STILL went on. People who couldn't hear him because of the bad mikes stopped paying attention and started chatting, which made hearing him all the more difficult for those paying attention. He STILL went on.


The dread turned to a churning feeling in my stomach, knowing what he as a performer would have been going through. But soon enough, it turned to pride. For the fact that my brother took it in his stride and didn't get upset. For the fact that he continued his performance no matter how bad the situation got. After his act, the owner of the restaurant got the message and fixed the situation somewhat. But Aakash didn't benefit from that. He took the brunt...and still went on. I doubt I can ever fully explain it to him, how proud I am. But I am. For the way he handled the situation. After all, the show must go on. And that's just what he did.

No comments: